In Europe it has been estimated (source WHO, summary report) that up to 50 hospital admissions per 100,000 inhabitants are due to asthma symptoms caused by exposure to mold.
Although mold, which belong to the large family of fungi, are natural organisms, sometimes present in many edible products (cheese, yogurt, penicillin) and in a quantity of everyday items, their proliferation in the home environment is detrimental to our health and to the materials of our home.
Mold, second only to xylophage insects (woodworms and the like) are the second cause of the structural decay of wood. Brown mold (which feed on wood cellulose) and white mold can attack the wood in depth, making it fragile or soft.
Although black mold are the best known, they are not the most frequent; in indoor environment, we can find, suspended in the air, mold known by the following names:
producing mycotoxins. Some types of mold can grow even in extended areas without emitting toxins but, when disturbed by changes in temperature or humidity, they begin to emit mycotoxins in the form of spores or gas.
In order to grow, mold need certain conditions, which it is good to know to be able to evaluate the situations inside our home.
Humidity: It can be due to condensation, leakage or flooding. Air moisture above 50% is the most suitable condition for the development of spores!
Media from which they draw nourishment: wood, paper, fabrics, skin, food or powders.
Temperature: High temperatures, around 30-40 degrees Celsius, such as those reached in the summer season, are the most favorable. However, low temperatures do not kill mold, that simply go into hibernation.
- Click here to see the certified results of our fight against molds.
In summary: in case there is visible mold development in your home, you need to remove it. Whether it is white, black or green mold, the resulting production of spores and gas has negative effects on the health of people and animals.
Common mold-eliminating products contain biocides, i.e. poisons, often made up of synthetic organic substances, more or less volatile. This means that over time they can disappear from the substrate, and therefore need to be renewed periodically.
In addition, many biocides are at high risk of toxicity to humans and the environment (they can be classified as toxic or among the destroyers of the endocrine system).
How to apply the "Soluzione Canadese" on masonry
Substrate preparation: The Soluzione Canadese needs a water-absorbing substrate in order to function properly. Over walls with old paint you only need to splash water on the surface to check the absorption; if the water is absorbed there are no problems. If the surface does not get wet but the drops slide from the surface, you need to reduce the old layer of paint. After verifying the condition of the substrate, we can proceed to the application of our product.
Application: You do not have to brush the mold away before applying the solution, since you would only succeed in spreading and inhaling the spores. So, impregnate the wall with the Soluzione Canadese by using a short-fiber roller, being careful not to leave dry areas. It is a good idea to treat all the walls and ceilings of the environment attached by mold, even if partially. Once the wall is impregnated, you just must wait for the water to evaporate. The molds are not completely bleached, but you will notice their graying. At this point the molds are completely neutralized and you can proceed with one or two hands of paint.
You can use all our paints such as the super-breathing Luminosa, or the washable and breathable Splendida, or the Seta, taking care to add a glass of Soluzione Canadese (about 200 ml) every 14-litre tin, and that's it! Molds will not return, and we will have obtained an environment free of bad odors produced by spores without the use of substances petroleum based.
How to apply the "Soluzione Canadese" on wood
Check the conditions of the substrate and dilute the product as indicated above (description of the masonry media).
If the mold of the wood has attacked the substrate in depth you should not brush it away. To clean up the wood from molds and encrustations of dirt, wet the substrate thoroughly with Sapone Forte, let it act for about 15-20 minutes, keeping moist the treated surface, and then rinse with abundant water and if necessary use a brush with rigid fibers (e.g. brush with vegetable fibers, broomcorn like). In this way the timber will return as new, and ready for the anti-mold treatment.
Spread a copious amount of Soluzione Canadese on the surface of the wood using a roller or a brush (if conditions allow, you can also spray the product). It is a good idea to thoroughly impregnate the timber, trying to wet deeply through any wood openings.
The Soluzione Canadese works effectively also as a preventative for the attack of xylophagogi insects. The treated timber will remain unchanged in appearance and its ability to absorb the Durga primers and, for finishing, any Durga finisher or a hand of liquid wax (e.g. Encausto Plus).